This is the final project in Visual Narrative “ Zine”. As the word visual suggests, in my project I’ve used a variety of techniques such as collage images, sketches and also paintings. My objective is to produce a zine that showcases the richness and wealth of the Persian patterns. The zine is part of a series of monthly zines that target a variety of artistic issues. The audience of my zine are people who are interested in beauty and uniqueness of patterns.
Like all projects, this project is both enriching and challenging. For this reason, I had to be well prepared to produce a zine that is eye-catching, informative and meets the needs of the persona audience I created. As a matter of fact, this was one of the most important things I learned from this project. In general, people study the audience’s likes and dislikes and then decide on the kind of product. That is to say, the product exists because the audience demand it. In this project, I created my persona, i. e my audience, and then I tailored my product to live up to their expectations. This was not an easy thing to do at all. But it was my main driving force to carry out a research about patterns. I started by borrowing books from the library about patterns in general and slowly drifted towards Persian patterns when I discovered they are rich and colorful. My readings broadened my knowledge and deepened my understanding of the Persian patterns. Persian patterns are rich in color, loaded with flowers, full of geometrical shapes and different types of designs. In addition to creating my persona and investigating the Persian patterns, I learned something about the product itself. Although zine is not something new as I later learned from the course, it took me some time to come to grips with it and become familiar with the concept; something which I found really motivating.
Equally motivating, but also thought-provoking and tiring, were the challenges I faced in this project. To begin with, I wanted to have an appealing zine from A to Z. I was determined not to repeat myself in a pattern or a collage image and to surprise the audience with a somehow different technique in every page. So, I had to have a lot of ideas and material to choose from. Another challenging thing to me was designing everything by hand. This represented a change of habit for me. I prefer designing by computer and printing copies, probably unlike many students. In this project, I had to either design by hand or print images and then rearrange them in a certain way. So every pattern had to have a sort of hand touch. Still another challenge was the selection of material. Experience has revealed that material sometimes becomes different after printing and negatively impact the quality of the product. I had to be careful with the selection of the sort of material that does not fade or lose its glitter after printing. To meet this end, I had to carry out few experiments. The most important one was when I used a transparent paper, but after scanning, it became flat and lost its transparency; something which made me remove it because it affected the rest of the images.
However, challenges become strengths when work is complete. Although I was relieved when I finished the zine, I felt that this project added a lot to my knowledge and experience.